Many taxpayers don't know this, but there is a chance you are entitled to tax relief on your work expenses, even if you are employed! Amazing, right?
Read this employee's guide to claiming job expenses below to discover if you can be due tax relief for work expenses as a employee.
If you, on the other hand, are self-employed, the expenses you can claim are different than as if you were employed. Find out everything in this other article we have written for you!
Did you know that if you are an employee and you incur certain business expenses that your employer doesn't reimburse, you might be able to get tax relief?
This is the criteria within which you can make a claim:
- You, as an employee, have to pay the expenses in order to do your job;
- The expense is only for and essential to the duties of your job.
Note that you can't claim tax relief on your work expenses if:
- Your employer covers these expenses;
- As an alternative, your employer gives you a different tool than the model or type you wanted.
Which expenses can I claim back as a employee?
HMRC usually grant tax relief for the following work expenses:
Download the expenses table below, so you have it on hand whenever you need it!
What about fixed rate deductions?
Many jobs have agreed fixed rate tax deductions with HMRC each tax year to cover things like uniforms and tools. If your claim is more than £2,500, you need to submit a Self Assessment tax return (we are here to help you with this!).
If your claim is for no more than £2,500, you make a claim through correspondence. Be aware that the amount you can claim depends on your job and the industry you work in.
Can I claim flat rate expenses as an employee?
You are eligible to claim flat rate expenses as a employee if:
- You incur allowable expenses because of your job;
- You have paid income tax in the years of your claim;
- You don't have the flat rate expense already incorporated in your tax code.
Be aware that if you make a flat rate expenses claim you don't need to keep a record of what you have spent or any receipts.
How do I get flat rate job expenses?
There are two ways you can get the flat rate expense you are entitled to:
- A change in your tax code to reflect your flat rate expense in this current tax year, meaning you will pay less tax for the rest of the year and in the future;
- If you making a tax rebate claim for up to the last four tax years. By back dating a claim you can receive a tax rebate, which can get you back income tax you have overpaid!
Whether you are a employee or self-employed, Tommy's Tax is here to help you with your tax refund! The process through our app only takes 5 minutes. With our "no refund, no fee" policy, we can check to see if you're owed any money for free!
Using Tommy's Tax app will help you claim the maximum amount possible! On average, people who claim tax returns through Tommy's Tax app earn £3000, which is significantly higher than that they would have claimed themselves!
Just download our app to claim your tax return today!